World Of Heraldry

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What do you mean?

I am a Christian. What does that mean? The vast majority of Americans say that they are Christians, but do they mean the same thing as I do when I say it?
Before you can have a conversation with someone you have to speak the same language. If you think you can talk about God, Christ, Heaven and Hell with someone just because you both speak English you are in for a rude awakening.
I have family members that are members of the LDS (Mormon) church. I have had many conversations with them about our shared beliefs and the differences in our beliefs. At first I thought we were talking about the same thing. I quickly discovered I was wrong. Our definitions did not match up.
When I speak of Jesus Christ, I am speaking of the one and only son of God conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mary and born of her yet without sin. He is fully God and Fully man. Salvation comes through Faith and the Grace of God. Salvation is Wholly of God I contributed nothing and I am incapable of contributing anything for my own salvation. I am an Adopted son of the most Holy God and Jesus is now my brother because I was grafted into the family of God, not born into it.
However, the LDS definition of Jesus Christ is not the same as mine. The LDS Church teaches that Jesus is the first born son of God but I am also a son. We all are sons and daughters of God. So is Satan. He is our brother. God was one like us and we to can become like him.
That is not even remotely the same thing, yet we will both say we have received Salvation Through our Lord Jesus Christ.
I once had a lifelong member of the LDS Church try to explain to me that Christ was Jesus’ last name. He told me that his father’s name was Joseph Christ and his mother‘s was Mary Christ.
When I say I am a Christian, I am stating that I am a follower of Jesus Christ, the one and ONLY begotten son of the God. He is God and Man and born of the Virgin Mary without sin. He led a perfect life, was slain and rose again to be the propitiation for my sins. By faith I am saved through Grace alone lest anyone should boast.
That is only the first of many definition problems with the LDS Church and they are not the only one. When we speak to a Jehovah’s Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, Hare Krishna or any other group we have to first confirm what we mean.
Are there True Christians in the LDS Church, the Catholic Church, and Jehovah’s Witness? I say yes there are. Some have placed their faith in the True Savior and are Christians. Many more are not. Can God bring you to Salvation no matter where you are? Yes, God is God and he does as he wills. His ways are not our ways and we have no right to question anything he has, is, or will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment