World Of Heraldry

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Parsing the Word...

One thing I can’t tolerate is parsing the Word of God. When I am reading an article or a Bible Study, and the author quotes a verse or to like this: “We…worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus…(Phil 3:3)”
Some of the time, the author may be just trying to emphasize his point or to leave out words that he feels are repetitive or irrelevant.
I despise this. Every word is relevant and the context makes the verse. Compare the verses below:

“We…worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus…(Phil 3:3)”

“For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh, (Phil 3:3) NJKV

What is the author trying to say? Do the two quotes say the same thing? Was the intent to emphasize his point or something more sinister.

If I wanted to twist the Word of God it is easy to do, for example if I wanted to make the point that people should not perform street evagalizm I could quoute Matthew 6:5 as this:

“…you shall not…pray standing…on the corners of the streets…” Matt 6:5

Is that what it says? Are we fobiding from praying on the streets? Of course not. I could quote from Genesis 19 and try to make the point that incest is blessed by God. I could twist nay scripture to try to make it say what I wanted if I took it out of context.

Please do not take any scripture quotes from a book written by man. Always o to the Word and look at the verse in context.

No comments:

Post a Comment